Friday, June 1, 2012

Lizards in Lampang


Only 3 days into my stay here in Thailand, and I feel as if even a blog each day won’t cover the details. Our arrival was met with such hospitality and day one was a blur of orientation and exhaustion. We were ushered around Dr. Nirund’s campus and then taken to a Farewell Dinner in the city, where the teachers all went their separate ways. Children from local schools danced for us in traditional Thai dress and fashion. It was absolutely wonderful. Though it was a memorable night, I could barely hold my eyes open because of lack of sleep. 
After the ceremony, our transportation came to take us back to our on campus town houses. And by transportation, I mean a pickup truck with a roof over the bed and a row of seats. Rode rules are merely myths here. Motorbikes with an unsafe amount of passengers dart in and out of traffic, the roads have no lines, there are no speed limits and basically, you travel at your own risk.
Our apartment is basic. The two story jungle home in Lampang is complete with live lizard decor, running water, a broken air condition and swiveling fan. Home sweet home. On paper these things sound so rudimentary and miserable, but really, learning to live our of my comfort zone and accepting and embracing the culture has made me happier than one could imagine. It is a real accomplishment. 
We’ve had a few language lessons, but speaking Thai will be a daunting task because their vocabulary is 90% tonal. One word could mean 7 different things depending on inflection. Regardless, we’ve learned the important things like “Hello,” “Thank you,” and “Little bit of spice.”
Unfortunately we were told yesterday that our school is having a funding dispute, and we may not be able to teach there. What that could mean for our future stay, I’m not sure, but I know we will be in good hands and good spirits either way. I really hope we can stay here though because I’ve become acclimated to this area, the people and I’m thrilled to have the chance to be involved with the Bunyawatt school which has over 4000 students enrolled.
With no school until Tuesday, we have the weekend ahead of us to explore and perhaps visit the elephant conservation. So many things await us, but I can’t get impatient, because we have an extended stay!
There are so many ornate events in this country, and I can’t wait to be a part of each. In November, there are Lotus flower ceremonies in which flowers and candles set sail on the river to honor the river goddess and beg her forgiveness for any disrespect they’ve shown. In Chiang Mai, there is breathtaking lantern releasing ceremony where thousands of candle lanterns float into the sky and disappear, creating a flickering, starry sky.
One thing is for sure, Thais are a peaceful and appreciative people. They may not ever be on time or adhere to schedules, but their heart is brimming with kindness. I ran into a couple of older Thai women in the bathroom yesterday who didn’t speak very good English. Trying to be polite, I bowed and respectfully greeted one of the ladies who was cleaning the bathroom. She continued mopping, but then disappeared for a few seconds. I was washing my hands when she came back, and I turned to smile at her. 
In broken English she said, “My friend teach me say that you are beautiful girl.”
“Kap-Khun-Ka,” I said, grateful to have remembered a thankful term.
It brought tears to my eyes that she would rush away to ask her friend how to give me, a stranger, an undeserved compliment, when she had no idea who I was. Pure, innocent kindness is so refreshing, and it gives me the desire and drive to learn just enough Thai so that I can return such hospitality.

1 comment:

  1. What a blessing it must be to live a simpler life at a slower pace! The Thai people sound lovely!

    ReplyDelete